Dalam beberapa tahun terakhir, permintaan akan konektivitas internet yang cepat dan andal telah tumbuh secara eksponensial. Dengan maraknya sistem kerja jarak jauh, pembelajaran online, dan layanan streaming, koneksi internet yang stabil telah menjadi kebutuhan bagi individu dan bisnis. Namun, di beberapa daerah, penyedia layanan internet (ISP) tradisional kesulitan menyediakan akses internet berkecepatan tinggi. Di sinilah Starlink Singapore berperan.
What is Starlink?
Starlink adalah konstelasi internet satelit yang dibangun oleh SpaceX, perusahaan luar angkasa yang didirikan oleh Elon Musk. Tujuan Starlink adalah menyediakan jangkauan broadband global, terutama di wilayah yang kurang terlayani di mana akses internet terbatas atau tidak ada. Dengan mengerahkan ribuan satelit kecil ke orbit rendah Bumi, Starlink bertujuan untuk menciptakan jaringan yang dapat menghadirkan akses internet berkecepatan tinggi kepada pengguna di seluruh dunia.
How Does Starlink Work?
Starlink operates by transmitting internet signals between satellites in space and ground-based stations. Users on the ground connect to a Starlink terminal, which is a small dish antenna installed on their property. The terminal communicates with the nearest Starlink satellite, which then relays the data to other satellites in the network, eventually connecting to a ground station that is connected to the internet backbone.
One of the key advantages of Starlink is its low Earth orbit (LEO) satellite configuration. Traditional satellite internet systems rely on geostationary satellites, which are positioned at a much higher altitude. This results in higher latency, making real-time applications like video calls or online gaming problematic. Starlink’s LEO satellites, on the other hand, are positioned much closer to the Earth, reducing latency and providing a more responsive internet experience.
Why Starlink Singapore?
Singapore, known for its advanced infrastructure and technology adoption, is a prime location for Starlink’s satellite internet service. While the country already has a well-developed internet infrastructure, there are still areas where connectivity can be improved, especially in rural or remote locations. Starlink Singapore aims to bridge this gap by providing high-speed internet access to these underserved areas.
Starlink’s satellite internet service offers several benefits to users in Singapore:
- Global coverage: Starlink’s satellite network has the potential to provide internet access to even the most remote corners of the world, ensuring that users in Singapore can stay connected no matter where they are.
- High-speed connectivity: With speeds ranging from 50 Mbps to 150 Mbps, Starlink offers fast and reliable internet access, allowing users to stream, work, and learn without interruption.
- Low latency: Thanks to its LEO satellite configuration, Starlink provides low latency internet, making it suitable for real-time applications like video conferencing and online gaming.
- Easy installation: Setting up Starlink is hassle-free. Users simply need to install the dish antenna provided by Starlink and connect it to their devices to start enjoying high-speed internet.
How to Get Starlink in Singapore?
As of now, Starlink is still in its beta testing phase in Singapore. Interested users can sign up on the Starlink website to join the queue for the service. Once approved, users will receive a Starlink kit containing the necessary equipment to set up the satellite internet connection. It’s important to note that availability may be limited during the beta phase, and priority is given to areas with limited connectivity.
To use Starlink in Singapore, you must pay the subscription fee and the equipment fee. Here are the details:
- Subscription fee: SGD 110 per month. This is equivalent to around USD 80 per month.
- Equipment cost: SGD 665 for dish, router, and tripod⁴. This is equivalent to around USD 485. You also have to pay the shipping and handling fee of SGD 29.
- Total initial cost: SGD 804. This is equivalent to around USD 585.
Starlink is still waiting for regulatory approval in Singapore, so you can only pre-order it by paying a deposit of SGD 110. You should also make sure that you have an unobstructed view of the sky to get a good signal from Starlink. You can download the Starlink application to determine the best installation location¹.
Starlink may be more expensive than other internet services in Singapore, but it can be a good choice for those of you who live in rural or remote areas that do not have fast and reliable internet access. Starlink also does not bind you to a long-term contract, so you can cancel at any time, for any reason.
Starlink Singapore is set to revolutionize internet connectivity in the country, providing high-speed, reliable internet access to both urban and rural areas. With its advanced satellite technology and global coverage, Starlink is poised to bridge the digital divide and bring the benefits of the internet to all corners of Singapore.